Thursday, 22 March 2012

Hurrah!

Hurrah I'm back!! In the blogging world anyway . To all of you that check back here regularly, I'm very sorry for not having blogged for a little while. I thought I'd give you all an update on what's going on with me and so you know a little about why I've not blogged. Hmmm where to start :) If this is the first time you've come to my blog, I'd recommend skipping this if you want to see what I actually do..... ;)

January is always a difficult time for me when it comes to my business. I feel like I've burnt out from the previous year. Every year I think it's going to get quiet as I head towards Christmas, and it kind of does in terms of shooting, but then other things kick in, like trying to get everyone's wedding albums designed and sent off before the pre Christmas delivery deadlines in November. THEN it's Christmas and all the craziness that, that brings. So January is the time I try to recover a little, live life a little bit more for me and generally have a break. The year started off on quite a high for me personally, on New Years eve I had a date with a guy called Marty who has since become my boy :) which is pretty exciting, our dates that followed over the next few weeks are some of the best days of my life :) (I know a few of my clients, a few past brides in particular are always keen to know what's going on in that area of my life :D so that's for you.)
Also though, I turned 30 in January! I've always looked forward to turning 30, I can't fully explain why but I think it's because you hear stories about how much more together you are when you're in your 30's, and I am :) and it's a nice feeling, so far being 30 has been awesome!! I also had the best celebrations ever which covered 4 days, excuse my self indulgence a little as I share them with you :) First of all, for the last day of my 20's Marty took me on a surprise trip to Bath spa (this was only our 4th date but felt like our 40th), I watched the sun set over the rooftops of Bath while floating in the rooftop thermal pool at the spa with Marty, our view on the opposite side was the Abbey which was all lit up, it was pretty special! I was also treated to a massage while there as well as floated around the downstairs pool and almost spontaneously combusting in the steam rooms. I wish I had some photos of the views but it will have to stay locked in my memory instead (We're talking serious brownie points here right?!).
On my birthday itself (which was Friday the 13th, unlucky for some but not for me, I was pretty excited about this) I spent mostly with my family. I woke up though to lots of lovely things my friends had sent (and made) for me. And my housemate had decorated the entire house with banners, balloons and sprinkles, brilliant!! (iphone photos only I'm afraid!)
decorated
Later I arrived home (parents home) and little did I know I was about to be faced with a room filled with about 300 balloons. 2 years ago I had done this for my brother's 30th so didn't expect them to do it for me, it was hilarious (I'm not known as being the most grown up, grown up ;D ). I had a lovely meal with them and my brother, as usual, had made me an awesome Totoro cake, something he's done for the last 3/4 years but this year was the best by far!! (More iphone photos) How insanely good is this?
birthday
The Saturday is the day I had planned to spend with my friends. I had hired the Study at Goldbrick House on Park Street in Bristol, I WISH I had taken a proper camera with me to be able to show you how gorgeous the room looked (but had planned to go out out and so didn't want to worry about it), all candlelit and cosy with just the right amount of sophistication, exactly what I wanted! The staff there were amazing and we were so well looked after. Some of my bestest friends were there with me (as was Marty, our 5th date, meeting the friends :D ) and it absolutely flew past for me. We went onto a club as well but can't remember the name of that but just remember dancing with lots of glow sticks to something that was along the lines of funk maybe...? This is the only photo I currently have of the night that my friend Marie took on her phone :)
birthday
That night me and my best friend Addie, stayed at the little bit of posh Marriott at the bottom of Park Street, on the superior floor no less :D
me
The following day myself, Addie and my other bff :D Flash (and her equally awesome husband Joel) spent the day looking around Bristol together and enjoying some really good food (at the Grain Barge).

In other news.... last year I must have gone a little insane as it's like I thought to myself one day, hey you know what? Let's voluntarily pile a little more on your plate, that would be fun wouldn't it? So that's what I did and I started a part time degree in Psychology with the OU. Madness I tell you!! I'm only going to be studying in the winter when I have less weddings. Lots of people have asked me why psychology? And I don't have a clear answer really, it's just something I've always been interested in. Back in the days of my A-levels I considered studying it, but pretty much everyone I knew decided to study it too and I hate to be doing what everyone else does regardless of how much I want to do it (stupid I know, it's the same reason I didn't have an iphone for ages despite wanting one, I have one now, lol) so I chose to do archaeology, something which baffles me to this day as I have zero interest in it and still don't. But anyway, I am genuinely interested in people and why we think and behave the way we do. I also thought it would be great to use my brain in a different way, I spend my life doing the same things constantly and so thought it would be good for me to do something a little more academic. I've so far found the reading extremely interesting and I understand all of it but have found the assignments far more difficult than I had anticipated, I'm not sure if this is down to my dyslexia or because I'm just completely out of practice, I suspect a bit of both. Two assignments are done, not brilliant marks but both passes and that's what's important right??? :) One more to go for this first part. Wish me luck! (It's probably going to take me 7-10 years to do). Just in case you were wondering, I have no plans to be giving up the photography at all! I just want to give my future self some more options, I'm not sure if I'll want to be a full time wedding photographer in 10+ years time, it's very physically and emotionally demanding and can be a difficult life to live sometimes (not meaning to moan, I LOVE what I do!!!) but it does take over your life and not sure I want that forever, especially if children enter the picture :D

So, what else is there, oh yes! This year I am hoping to go under a bit of a rebrand. I have some awesome designers (who I am keeping hidden for now :) ) working away for me, they've already come up with some logo concepts for me which I'm very excited about! Once we've finished with that they will hopefully come up with a whole new look (website, branding, blog etc) that will reflect more of me as a person. I truly feel that one of the most important things to consider when choosing your wedding photographer is the photographer themselves. You have to love their work, obviously, but you must also love them. That person will be around you for much of your wedding day and so it's important to choose someone you feel comfortable with and/or even think you could be friends with. This is a really heart warming quote from one of my brides from last year, Sarah, who will be featured on a well known blog soon in response to who she chose as her photographer:

"Was the wonderful Caroline Alexander, yet another person we would have wanted at the wedding anyway! She was a total dream to work with, and we knew right from the first day of planning that she was the person we wanted to work with. We both agreed that the photos were what really last forever along with your memories, so choosing Caroline was our first decision. It was lovely having her with us for both days, and I’ll always treasure the memories of our time wandering through the beautiful fields after the ceremony and before the Friday dinner, and feeling like it was just the two of us. We were incredibly lucky with all our suppliers, but Caroline really stands out as the calmest, funniest and most reassuring person we saw for 48 hours!"

Which says it all really. What I hope to achieve with the branding is to appeal to people that are on the same wavelength as me from the get go. If they like everything they see and experience when they come to my site then they know that I would be someone they would like to be around. More on this later :)

I am feeling really exciting now we're heading into spring, these are the flowers I found at my door yesterday to wish me a happy spring day by Marty :) (do you think he gave me enough?)
daffodils
I'm always happiest when the sun is out and I'm feeling raring to go now! I wish the sun had come out for Jo and Alan's wedding last weekend (which will make it onto the blog soon) but we still had a fantastic day regardless. I feel sure there is more I should be updating you on, but for now, just for a laugh I'll leave you with this... On Tuesday Marty and I went to Cheddar Gorge for the day (we also went to Jamie's Italian in Bristol, I can recommend that! We also saw The Muppets, I recommend that too!! It is amazing!!!) While there we visited a traditional sweet shop, Marty asks for the most sour sweets she has and insists on a quarter of what she suggests. The lady looks worried and mentioned that she's seen men cry when eating this... Marty laughs, claims they are amateurs and other such banter continues. The following photo is us both trying these sweets (I couldn't put in in my mouth, this is after one lick!!, Marty did also cry a little :D )
sour

2 comments:

Martins Kikulis 22 March 2012 at 19:01  

Hey Caroline, glad to know you are very well! :) and I love the last two shots!! :))

Anonymous 22 March 2012 at 21:11  

You look very happy, great post! Poor guy looks in pain :)

Post a Comment

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP